Welcome to RWF

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
JSebWC

The Noob and His Rolex Build.

73 posts in this topic

Update:

The build is currently done for now until more parts are sourced. Until this. I present to you my ultra rare beteeen references. Rolex 6575 GMT Master.

emoji41_0idgap5sq5f.png

emoji1303_ygkff2luinb.png

emoji482_34wqe0f0s2o.png

imageproxy_0moq3s4xbbj.jpg

imageproxy_uio4lr5jkak.jpg

imageproxy_xtj0433fmxj.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW !!!

Beautifull watch Sir.

And wonderfull insert ... where di you got this one ?.

Some lume pics would be very much appreciated

emoji3_yp3gj2b1soj.png

Envoyé de mon XT1068 en utilisant Tapatalk

Another small update

I fixed the crooked crown issue. When I swapped in the 1675 movement, I used the crown and stem from the 1675 case/ movement.

When I got home today I compared the crown on the 1655 case and it is slightly larger than the 1675 so I opened it up..pulled the stem and tried the original crown that came on that case (the 1655) and it fit proper. The 1655 explorer crown is larger as and the tube is also that what comes on the 1675. The stem works on both as they are both ETA.

Installed the 1655 crown and stem into the movement. but then went to adjust the time and the crown was loose on the stem. removed it once again to tighten up the crown on the stem...reinstalled and BUGGERED UP THE KEYLESS WORKS!!! *headbang* FSA!! BCP!!! .......OR so I thought.

I fiddled with it a bit and tried installing it a few more times and somehow by the luck and power of the Horology gods I got it installed and working again!! Thank FRICKING GOD!!

default_biggrin_qk2hp4v4ohq.png

No idea how...so dont ask....but I was able to set the date and time and wind.....talk about dodging a bullet and fixing the grown issue..... I am counting my lucky stars and am not gonna fuk with it until I have the dial and hands ready to install and even then I am going to buy a new movement for this watch so that I can replace this movement and dial back into my 1675..

anyway...time for a beer and some food!!

Lume shot.

emoji7_11f34uf50tw.png

imageproxy_ljxbwx2mida.jpg

LOVE that lumed insert

emoji7_11f34uf50tw.png

emoji7_11f34uf50tw.png

emoji7_11f34uf50tw.png

So once again ... Could you tell where you git it ?

LOVE that lumed insert

emoji7_11f34uf50tw.png

emoji7_11f34uf50tw.png

emoji7_11f34uf50tw.png

So once again ... Could you tell where you git it ?

It's from Ndt trading. Complete bezel assembly with insert.

Update

Still waiting on parts to finish this build. In the meantime. Picked up some leather scraps and gonna make some straps , watch rolls , and other various leather accessories. I really dig the distressed look of this hide.

imageproxy_l41zq4qi5j2.jpg

Bit of an update:

I have the movement and hands and they have been sent of to a secret location along with the 1655 dial to have it expertly converted to a 6542 gmt master dial by a modder friend who was kind enough to take on my dial project....now its waiting game...PATIENCE!!

when it arrives back to me I will drop it in the case and the 6542 project will be done! I am looking forward to that day.!!

Still wanting to build a 1019 I needed to find a case that would fit a 29mm dial. I had an old ali expresss explorer 2 laying around that I gutted and found that it would fit a 29mm dial so I started on that....shaved the cg and started to sand the bezel but lost steam cause the case is just wrong....lugs are not correct and need lugs drilled...crystal is wrong and would be a pain to find something that would look legit.

But!! \

This week came across a FS parts thread from Modder SToneP and he was selling a 6541 case that he modded to fit a smooth bezel on NCRich and I discussed the possibility of this a while ago as he had experience with the case but wasnt sure it could be done easily

Low and behold I made a deal with SToneP on the case set the 41 milgauss dial and assorted other parts and this will be the case for my 1019 project!!

It has lugs drilled, proper size 38mm proper xtal and smooth bezel. a year ago I wanted to build a 41 with a smooth bezel but wasnt sure it could be done....SToneP also was on that vibe but he told me he has too much on his plate so he is passing it on. I can go either way now with my 41 or 1019 build but I think I will do the 1019 but having that option there is cool!

Just gonna polish up the bezel and pick up a movement . The bevels on the lugs would be a nice touch as well but that will take some patience and practice. but it will happen.

the one last hurdle that I am fearing is getting rolex sized 1580 mvmt hands to fit an eta movement. there will be some reaming and broaching needed and I just dunno if I am up for the task could anyone recommend a modder that could do that for me?

Thats all for today folks will update you when I have the parts together and am ready to assemble for some eye candy!!

default_biggrin_qk2hp4v4ohq.png

Case set on the way.

6541 inspiration.

imageproxy_kw5aai1ley4.jpg

imageproxy_xkwenjtu144.jpg

imageproxy_v4zfeiur1p4.php

damnit image of case wont load and when saved it wont upload to page..grrrrrrrrr

Edited June 3 by JSebWC

A few updates on the builds.

First off. 6542. Sourced a Brevet 6mm crown from raffles but the profile isn't right. It's too squared. Anyone else have a suggestion on a rep crown with the proper profile ?

imageproxy_qd2z3pegqok.jpg

imageproxy_ldgrem0puib.jpg

These caseback decals arrived last week. They will be the icing on the cake.

imageproxy_l05j4rmh5wd.jpg

Waiting on the dial and this build will be done. Getting stoked

emoji1316_kd0tnl5mree.png

Because this thread started off as a toss up between a Milgauss 1019 and the GMT. I might as well post an update on my 1019 build.

Found a suitable solution for the case. This is. Silix 6538 sub case that has been modified by JMB. HE did a bit of machining work to the case to have more of a gen bezel fit and then he machined a bezel to fit the domed 6538 crystal and fit flush to the case like gen. the bezel is slightly thicker than gen but that is to keep the proportion correct of the bezel to crystal which to my eye looks good. Good enough for fhd girls I go with anyway.

emoji38_vzp03x5w2ck.png

imageproxy_z2fctul0p0w.jpg

imageproxy_z02gugxwhof.jpg

imageproxy_b2nejlm520w.jpg

imageproxy_ow04n5v0zqf.jpg

It's a 38mm case with the proper thickness and crystal fit. This case willl for the 29mm dial and has the flat case sides and drilled lugs. The proportions are good in this case but it needs some beveled lugs. I plan on attempting this soon.

Yuki dial and hands are in transit . As well as a ETA movement. My next hurdle will be to fit the Rolex hands to the movement. There will be some broaching involved which I will need to watch some videos of tutorials on how to do. Anyone seen any how to vides on YouTube ?

So this is where we sit until parts arrive.

imageproxy_iiik5botj3x.jpg

I am really enjoying this as a hobby. I spend more time thinking about it than my business most days. Haha.

As always. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

emoji482_34wqe0f0s2o.png

22 hours ago, JSebWC said:

First off. 6542. Sourced a Brevet 6mm crown from raffles but the profile isn't right. It's too squared. Anyone else have a suggestion on a rep crown with the proper profile ?

When I worked with Rafflestime to make the 6mm Brevet crown some communication was lost in translation. So I modified the crown and it works out well.

https://rwg.cc/topic/140709-6mm-brevet-crown/

59514bbea263d_11casesetside2.JPG.59972ac7799a7e7b7aefee086f7ad890_xlg5ylrq1gv.jpg

59514bcfb4457_320152.JPG.1c805defd163aaafd5152ee00efeb08f_x0tzpd0q4rp.jpg

Thanks for info Joey and thanks for getting these done with Ken. Very cool. Did you use a file of sandpaper hard to tell from the pic

@JoeyB

Inside I used fine emery cloth doubled-faced taped to a popsicle stick. All very high tech. I needed to use an old stem to secure it in the Dremel.

On the outside, be careful. It is very easy to take the bottom of the '+' off'. High tech first hand experience. Eventually I used a Dremel stone that comes with a hollowed out on the top and hand turned that. It worked better for me. You can see the edge this stone made better in the 6542 pic.

imageproxy_qlbwinsdpgx.jpg

@JoeyB

Awesome thanks for the advice. I will defiantly attempt the back...But when you used the dremel bit to do the front did you spin the crown and hold the bit in hand or vise versa? I just got a new dremel bit kit I will check to see if I have one similar?

Thanks for your help brother!

I secured the crown and slowly turned the stone using the 'cup' part of the stone to take the edge down. All by hand.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:30 AM, JoeyB said:

I secured the crown and slowly turned the stone using the 'cup' part of the stone to take the edge down. All by hand.

cool I checked my kit and I have a similar stone. I will give it a try again I appreciate your wealth of knowledge and experience. please post some more pics of your 42 for inspiration!!

came across this video on broaching....I need to source these tools.

Parts arrived. The dial and hands fit nicely into the case. The aged lume looks the part. Very happy Just waiting on the movement and broach tool to arrive

Now I am looking for a Milgauss faraday cage that someone might have in their parts bin?

imageproxy_5ipfwial1or.jpg

imageproxy_4pzjl4tibem.jpg

Parts arrived. The dial and hands fit nicely into the case. The aged lume looks the part. Very happy Just waiting on the movement and broach tool to arrive

Now I am looking for a Milgauss faraday cage that someone might have in their parts bin?

imageproxy_5ipfwial1or.jpg

imageproxy_4pzjl4tibem.jpg

Would you share a link to the broachtolls you bought ?

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Would you share a link to the broachtolls you bought ?

I found them on eBay.cm. from Arizona

User Findingking.

imageproxy_zuxkev4rvea.jpg

I found them on eBay.cm. from Arizona

User Findingking.

imageproxy_zuxkev4rvea.jpg

Thanks