Sign in to follow this  
thegrail

Whats a genuine day date rolex worth?

Ive been offered a genuine day date 18k rolex with diamond bezel and roman numeral dial but leather strap with gold rolex emblem what sort of money should I pay for this ? been offered it between £3,500 to £3750? any ideas? is it worth that money

Depends any many things. Year, original dial and bezel, condition..... Non quick set head only in worn condition you can find as low as 2500 usd.....

If you don't intend keeping it I'd think seriously about its resale potential. It's a very 'particular' piece.

"It's a very 'particular' piece."

I missed one for $1500 a few months back but did get the complete movement out of it later. Offered $400 then $500 but the guy knew he sold the case and bracelet too cheap so $600 was the price.

He scrapped the case and bracelet, do not know how much he got.

Most slow set day/date movements have DD in front of the mvt serial number. The one I bought is cal 1556.

It's very hard to set a value on something like this as we said above, the older the watch, obviously the value lessens. The very old non-quicksets are not nearly as desirable as the newer quicksets, also is the diamond bezel genuine or aftermarket. Makes a difference as Rolex won't work on one that has an aftermarket bezel or dial. Most of the Day Dates with Diamond dials/bezels have been altered aftermarket. Guy buys a Gold DD, later on he decides he needs a Diamond bezel (Why I would ever know!!) Takes it to a local watchmaker, and it's a matter of popping off the old bezel and popping on a new Diamond one. If folks were smart, they would keep the original bezel/dial and if they ever sell the watch, offer it with the original parts. Unfortunately, most folks trade in the old bezel/dial on the new diamond ones.

So before you can set a price, you need to know model, age ,movement and the authenticity of the diamond bezel/dial. Also are the strap/Buckle genuine Rolex, as that alters the value somewhat.

its head only and leather strap the watch itself looks sunning ive made my offer with him so see what happens now ive bid £2,500 so we will see where it goes its F serial don't know if that's quickset or not?

so will it be a quick change ? what movement would be in this?

The double quick set was introduced in 1988, so this is a double quick set if it is a 1995 production watch.

The movement is a 3155 which is still used in the Day/Date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The model would be a 18238, or something similar and like panerai says a 3155 movement. I would figure a watch like that w/o bracelet and depending on how much you value the diamonds at would be $5,000- $7,000usd. So 3,500 pounds isn't too bad depending on the exchange rate. Watches also go for more on the EU side of the pond

I bought the watch for £3,100 so got a great deal already changed bezel as had another lying around looks much better without the diamonds and just normal bezel except its plated will have to save for a gen gold one now, any idea what a diamond bezel is worth its aftermarket, 18kt with 45 diamond? im hoping a few quid as will help towards the watch

post-48428-0-02195600-1424113817_thumb_pvcxtosgt0e.jpg

post-48428-0-83635300-1424113823_thumb_r3f5daa3ukw.jpg

post-48428-0-31359200-1424113830_thumb_44vv1elghsr.jpg

I bet you could sell this pretty easily, it would help a lot to get a gemologist to certify that they are indeed genuine diamonds and give you and appraisal. Another caveat, when you sell it, furnish al the gemologist paperwork (Keep a copy) and specify a strict no return policy. Folks can have those diamonds out and CZ's installed in a matter of minutes, tell you that it doesn't fit, doesn't look right, whatever, you take it back and they have the diamonds and you have practically worthless CZ's. These sell on Ebay all the time, so there are sources to sell them. Another tip, if you don't have one, have a local jewelry shop run it through their ultrasonic cleaner, you will be amazed at how much better the diamonds look after that film of dirt and grease from hands is removed.

A guy I work with just bought one with full gold bracelet for $7500 from a vintage watch store. Came with original box. He let me try it on today. Gorgeous although I wasn't a fan of the dial. Black Roman numerals on gold or champagne dial.