Sign in to follow this  
importr

Project: Carrera Day-Date

So, a few weeks into Carrera Day-Date ownership and the terrible urge to modify it has consumed me.

This is my white/silver dial with Asian 7750. We know that the movement screws are blued. We know that the mock-croc strap smells and feels plasticky.

We also know that the date window on the gen appears to be darker than the rep.

These are the things that I will change. :twisted:

dsc_0031.jpg

De-case the a7750...etc

WinkSmiley.png

dsc_0048.jpg

Pick out the date window, and dip it in clear smoked acrylic paint. Once or twice dependent on how dark you want it.

dsc_0050.jpg

Meanwhile, just throw in an ETA 7750

smile.png

dsc_0070.jpg

dsc_0073.jpg

Date window is darker after one coat - hmmmm, I may have to re-do it for one more coat... :?: :roll:

dsc_0081.jpg

Throw on a genuine TAG Heuer croc strap

smile.png

(pic taken before the movement & dial mods)

dsc_0044.jpg

dsc_0078.jpg

dsc_0077.jpg

Lookin goooood! 8)

dsc_0082.jpg

UPDATE:

I re-modded the date window to make it darker, to try to match the sub dial rings. :roll:

It also appears that the inner sub dial rings are dark? Unlike the the rep which are bright silver - same goes for the applied numbers?!

My rep:

dsc_00012.jpg

Pic of the gen:

cv2a11_fc6235side2.jpg

dsc_00032.jpg

cv2a11_fc62351.jpg

dsc_0006.jpg

Great job dude.

All in all, with the cost of the original replica and all of the modifications how much did this piece set you back?

Hey there's no reason why you can't either...is there?

All you need are good eyes, steady hands and lots of patience!!

Practice stripping and rebuilding a cheap watch, try modding parts to make it better and its all fun stuff from there on!

smile.png

Hey there's no reason why you can't either...is there?

All you need are good eyes, steady hands and lots of patience!!

Practice stripping and rebuilding a cheap watch, try modding parts to make it better and its all fun stuff from there on!

smile.png

Thanks for the encouragement- I'll give it a shot!

Great Post! Are you basing your decision to mod the date window, markers and sub dials based on what you see in pictures or did you go look at one? The reason I ask, is that at different lighting angles you have a different effect, also photographers use black as a background so anything in the background may reflect that color. The one I saw at the AD was a black dial so I didn't really notice it TBH, at least it didn't stand out. Maybe these are black steeled I don't know that for sure.

Anyway, this watch is on my list and it's thanks to you.

biggrin.png

Hi, yes I am basing it on the gen pics, rather than the Poster pics - which we know are full of deliberate inconsistencies. I know what you mean about reflection, but looking at these photos, i think they could be black gold; as used on the gen Carrera RS2? At least half of the gen bezel doesn't have the dark reflection, and the numbers are still dark.

Its definately not silver though, right?

lol1.gif

Anyway, get yours ordered. The majority of people wouldn't know about the darker bits.

Its just geeks like us that get obsessive about it!

smile.png