Sign in to follow this  
stxtf

Chicago Customs Seized/Confiscated

"Handed over to Customs" on tracking is standard notation telling you the package is going through customs. It has nothing to do with predicting an outcome of the inspection. So no you should not freak out when you see that. It just means things are moving along hopefully toward delivery of your purchase.

OK, so maybe 2 - 3 weeks?

I can live with that as long as I don't have to worry about having my watch seized, I'm a worrier by nature, can't help it.

This Chi Customs thing is getting me down.

Don't buy a lot of watches, maybe 2 or 3 a year but I research a lot, go to AD, try it on, agonize a bit more and after all that when I decide on the watch - I really, want it...and now this customs BS.

Any concern with purchasing a watch from a member in the UK which may hit Chicago customs?

About to pull a trigger on a watch with the seller in UK. Im sure, since im in the midwest - it will hit Chicago customs. Just seeing f any members had recently purchased a watch from overseas (from a member - not TD) and got their watch through Chi customs.

Actually, my packages in the months before the seized one were unusually and extremely slow for EMS- see the thread on this board below. Used to always be 4-7 days from posting to delivery (with 8 days being my record long), and packages suddenly were taking weeks. Now I wonder if that was due to increased scrutiny.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/197043

It's impossible to predict what city your watch will enter the U.S. at. I wouldn't worry. Yes, there's always a chance, and with a private seller you don't have the protection you do like if you were buying from one of our dealers. Just a chance you have to decide if you want to take or not.

Cny is coming to an end and us customs will be seeing a huge influx of mail from China this might be a good thing for peeps in the usa for now. You figure too much to track. I was talking to a guy who works for a shipping company and says these guys check the manifest from certain places and ID certain packages to look at. So if the td peeps are smart they would start labeling differently.

Thanks all for your input and insight. I read on RWI never to use FedEx or UPS, but i see some use DHL for shipping to USA. Question, does shipping via DHL seem to have better odds of making it through US customs? What seems to be the safest way to ship?

John, I've never had an issue with any modes of delivery. Honestly having a watch seized is very rare. There are thousands of watches bought everyday and shipped to the U.S. We see one seized every once in a while. so the likelihood of getting one seized is very low. I've bought a lot of watches and never had one seized. I don't worry about it. and if one is seized I know my dealer will replace it, so there's nothing to worry about. I use whatever method my dealer tells me to.

Now I'm reading some HK Post stories about it sometimes taking 2 -3 months to get the package, no tracking updates, so not sure if it's getting there or lost. Sounds not too promising but what can you do.

Mine took about 10 days to show up in USA via HK Post. It went left a domestic sorting facility on the 22nd- and no updates since. Registered mail is the bottom of the bin for USPS apparently. Quite unlike the next day before noon EMS