Sign in to follow this  
mch2112

Nautilus or Aquanaut?

Hi All, I'm not enough of a Patek fan to get both, but I like them and thinking of picking up one of these two. Any suggestions? Build quality is equal in importance to gen accuracy. Probably would go SS instead of gold for what that's worth.

Thanks!

I'm more of an Aquanaut fan.. and if you get one it has to be the V2. All other models are inferior.

That said, I have a really nice Nautilus too. You really gotta have both

WinkSmiley.png

Overall the SW200 Nautilus has superior quality to the Aquanaut. The build is superb.

The Aquanaut is excellent as well, but it falls short on the bracelet and strap. The bracelet clasp is acceptable, but not great. It should close MUCH tighter. If I have the watch on and I bend my wrist inward, the two clasp release buttons are involuntarily squeezed against the heel of my palm and the inside of my wrist, which forces the clasp to pop open. This happens over and over and it drives me out of my mind.

To be fair, I have large wrists and this happens to me with a few rep bracelets, but IMO this is a design flaw because the clasp is just not tight enough.

The rubber strap is also a problem for the simple reason that once you cut it, it cannot be adjusted. That means if your wrist swells up in the summer time (most do), you need to buy another strap and cut it longer. It's a foolish design. Granted, the gen is the same, but it's not worth the aggravation IMO.

I would stick with Nautilus and its superbly made bracelet, even in rep form. The tiny screws are of outstanding Swiss quality (i.e. they won't strip on you the instant you touch them). The bracelet also has a simple safety clasp, so it can never pop open on you involuntarily like the Aquanaut clasp.

Putting the reps aside for a moment and just comparing gens, be aware that many Patek fanatics loathe the Aquanaut and look down on/make fun of people who wear them. Its design was considered ugly from Day 1. The Nautilus is considered the ultimate Patek sport watch, with the Aquanaut a distant second best. Personally, I like both designs (especialy the older 5065 Aquanaut), but I state this FWIW.

I dunno, I'm not a fan of the metal bracelet, I found it pinches a bit here and there. The rubber band on the Aquanaut on the other hand is the most comfortable strap I've ever had.

Its too bad the Aquanaut gets no love from many gen owners. It will be the 1st gen Patek I get when the time comes. I love it!