Sign in to follow this  
mjywatchguy

Craziest thing happened with my IWC Portuguese

I have an IWC portuguese chrono, with the dreaded seconds at 6. About 3 months ago, it died on me. Would not run for more than 45 seconds, stopped at arbitrary time points, etc. Well, I was going to take it to a local watchsmith to see what he could do, since this is a great looking watch. I did not have enough time to do it, and I left the watch in my car. It has been at least 85 degrees every day. So I grab the watch, and it is running again! This was about 2 weeks ago, and it is still running great! It has been on my winder, when not worn, and it is still going strong! I have no idea what happened, but it works for me!

MJY

There you go. If in doubt, microwave the bugger.

I think I'll send this tip on to Ziggy. Could save him some workbench time

biggrin.png

Let's make some educated guesses on what happened"

- First, the heat might have re-distributed oil or made dried up oil go liquid again, which jump started the movement.

- As I've heard from the Zig, the problem with the Portuguese is that it's added gears actually touch the caseback. Maybe they jammed and the watch stopped working and once the watch heated up, the metal parts (movement and case) expanded, maybe the case expanded more than the movement because it was a different metal. This could lead to more space for the added gears and making them run again.

Any other ideas?

how long was the watch left in the car.... you may have loosened dried up oil and it is working again. The question is will it still work come winter time when it is really cold out there... Only time will tell ... Glad it is working for you though!

I'm in Florida and for a small charge will place your watch in a custom made holder facing the windshield (gtd to heat it up) and will wear it for one month to make sure it is functioning properly. Limited to 12 watches a year please.