Sign in to follow this  
drfcfighter

2826-2 question

DK about this for sure but sounds (no pun intended) like the main spring is not winding properly or binding on something. And a bumpidy we shall go for the watch repair studs out there!

It sounds like a broken mainspring or a loose mainspring when wound tightly. the watch will keep good time.. the question is how good is your power reserve? try this: soon after you hear the first click, put the watch down (and don't wear it) and measure the power reserve.. it will more likely be less than 20 hours.....give that a shot

A broken mainspring would give a differnt sound thent he clicking. To me that sounds more like a lose barrel bridge. What I think is happning is as you start to wind it the pressure from the mainspring in the barrel will push up on the plate ,which if it is lose will lift up cousing the winding gears to start to skip, hench the clicking sound.

Now the next step...do you feel a skipping or "jumping" in the crown when your winding it and hearing this clicking sound?

@Sam

Tthe problem with stoping it when it starts to click is your not going to get an accuret reading of the pwer reserve. the tec sheets on the 2826 is a min of 48 hours, and becouse it's an auto wind you can't tell a full wind (unless you just wind the crap out of it 50 or so times). So at 10 winds your at lest say 1/4 power which isn't going to give you a very long run time. I would agree if the question was for a weak or broken mainspring, but I don't think it is. Good idea thought. good to know how to run a power reseve check.

Calix

Camris

It is really hard to diagnose a problem without having the watch in your hand.... that said, all problems including the one you mentioned are still possible. Let's just hope that it is not the mainspring otherwise it is a costly repair.

no not really Kaneda2004,

It would not be the that after ten winds, the main spring should not be even close to a full wind. This is an automatic watch. so the mainspring has whats called a bridle allowing it to "slip" at full wind so that when the watch is worn at a full wind the automatic system can still work. This is why on a working Aoutomatic watch you can just keep winding and winding and winding and not come to a point where the wind stops like in a 6497 which has a maunual wind.

Good question though,

Calix

No, the skipping/stripping does not happen. I had that problem with my sub and Vaccum fixed it. Eitherway, this DJ is new, and keeps good time and power reserve is about right too. Nothing functionally wrong so far in two weeks now, but I do have weird feelings about the clicking sound.

Hmm,

Thanks for the info, I think we can narrow it down more now .

well I'm going to hazard a guess that you probly have some wear in the winding/setting system then. the clicking sound comes from when the mainspring barrel gets some tension on it, the wear on the gears starts to couse the clicking sound. it still winds, but it skips/clicks on the worn teeth once there is some resistance.

Calix

Please explain this further. I have a 7750 movement which is doing this. It is pretty tight setting the dime then will skip and move fast as I continue.

Thanks

I could be wrong here but from what any AD has told me it sounds like your over winding......I've always been told wind 20 to a max of 25 winds so that you dont over strain the movement....but hey I could be wrong