Sign in to follow this  
Guest fakemaster

A Fashion question

Guest fakemaster

I wanted to get opinions on something. This pic was posted on another thread.

mar_hublot_07_0215_biver_01.jpg

Now here's the question. This guy is wearing a PVD watch with a suit. Do you guys feel that a PVD watch is classy in this situation? What ifhe were wearing a typical blue shirt and suit? Should he be wearing SS? We could even get into the age old question of does a black dial go with blue. What say you?

Nah, the PVD is fine with THAT ensemble.

Notice he's wearing all black and no tie. Obviously monochromatic is the "look" he's going for, and the PVD/ceramic/whatever watch fits snugly into that theme. The fact that it's all black and no tie makes his wardrobe casual enough, in spite of being a suit, to wear a PVD with. If it was a "normal" suit with a tie, my answer would likely be different. Although, not necessarily.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Take it from a fashionista and religious reader of GQ magazine. He isn't wearing a tie (business casual or night out) the watch is acceptable. If he was wearing a tie, should be a SS case cause the PVD looks too dressed down. Leather bands are fine with suits but the rule is If you are wearing black ONLY black leather or gold, or SS. If you are wearing blue you should also be wearing brown leather shoes and belt so..........brown leather strap on the watch or metal band. Simple, no disputing it. I may not be a rep expert but I am ALL OVER fashion trends and style. Clean, modern, form fitting style! Anyone who disagrees has zero fashion sense. By the way I am so anal about my personal style that my friends think i might be gay! But I'm not as I married a stripper!

biggrin.png

This is the only bit I'd disagree with. While it is more common to wear brown with blue, it's not a necessity.

Either way, we both agree that the PVD watch is cool with that outfit.

wink.gif

This is the only bit I'd disagree with. While it is more common to wear brown with blue, it's not a necessity.

Either way, we both agree that the PVD watch is cool with that outfit.

wink.gif

I didn't mean essential to wear brown, I repied in haste and didn't word that correctly, my bad. USUALLY brown with blue but not always! Hooligan you seem pretty keen on fashion yourself my friend! Are you a closet GQ reader aswell?

smile.png

You actually look better then i thought,fakey....

And at least you now have a watch,don't worry about fashion....congrats.... :|

How do you spend your evenings when she's working?

She's not a stripper anymore Doc, she retired! Now she's a MOM

Cry.gif

But a MILF at that!

biggrin.png

Although in the beginning I used to go in while she was working. You get some serious VIP treatment when everyone there knows you are dating one of the girls. You kind of feel like Hugh Hefner on a lesser scale, still cool though! 8)

Guest fakemaster

GHR...people have been wearing black belts and shoes with navy since the beginning of time. That leads to another question. What about accessories? Pens and cufflinks?

For pens and cufflinks, my protocol is very straightforward and probably too restrictive and boring for most. But I think I look pretty sharp 8)

With brown shoes/belt/strap: white metal (SS/WG/plat./silver). any accent colors only if matching the tie - but no black.

With black shoes/belt/strap: white metal, or white metal with black accents, or black with white metal accents. any other accent colors only if matching the tie - but no brown.

According to GQ, casual and cufflinks can go together

smile.png

~ All you need is a nice French cuff shirt, cufflinks, brown shoes, jeans and a SS watch and you're good to go! Hmmm... I need a Nautilus since I bought some Patek Cufflinks two weeks ago... 8)

Guest fakemaster

With brown shoes/belt/strap: white metal (SS/WG/plat./silver).

Are you saying you wear brown belts with silver buckles?

According to GQ, casual and cufflinks can go together

I wear cufflkinks with no tie.

Uh-oh... I hope that's not a faux-pas....... but yes, I do. Usually brushed steel. If it was yellow gold/brass hardware of course I wouldn't wear cufflinks or a pen with clashing white metal... but I rarely wear any yellow gold/brass.

Agree with both 'gotahaverolex' and hooligan...

I'm also a fashion bitch (gotahaverolex - we should get together sometimes and talk about this sh$t without being perceived as gay LOL!), so matching a different watch face color/strap with a belt and shoes is important to me

smile.png

I'd say black PVD watch is OK with black suit, but not every black suit, like pinstripe for example. Cufflinks and no tie in this combo is more than fine, especially if the cufflinks match the color finish of the watch head (pvd, anodized, DLC etc...high sheen or matte finish...). The best shirt would be either black, gray or white in this combo, but border line light blue should be also OK, IMO.

Watches with blue faces "cry" for brown leather straps, again this depends on tone and darkness of blue color of the dial. Darker blue dials should never be matched with black leather straps, but that's someting even Panerai didn't care much sometimes about (087F 'dark blue' dial 1000m diver and black rubber strap, but then again black diver strap most likely goes well with any dial color).

...just my personal 2 cents

smile.png

babola

Guest fakemaster

The blue dial watches have always thrown me. I think an SMP would look funny with black accented pens and belts.

Didn't mean to pick on your post, GHR, I just wanted to keep the discussion moving. I hope it didn't come across that way!

No, not a GQ reader, but I have an interest in fashion. Not haute couteur, but just being fashionable/put together/polished. Honestly the stuff I see in pictures from the runway make me cringe. I've thought of subscribing on a couple of occasions, maybe I should?

Didn't mean to pick on your post, GHR, I just wanted to keep the discussion moving. I hope it didn't come across that way!

No, not a GQ reader, but I have an interest in fashion. Not haute couteur, but just being fashionable/put together/polished. Honestly the stuff I see in pictures from the runway make me cringe. I've thought of subscribing on a couple of occasions, maybe I should?

No offense taken hooligan. In the end if you are comfortable in something then where it. What looks good to one person doesn't to another. I don't where gold at all and rarely blue. I'm a black suit kind of guy so I have an easy time matching accesories. Black or brown leather suits blue suits well, I just don't care for brown leather personally. I own one pair of brown shoes and one brown belt vs. 25 black belts and 15 pairs of black shoes. It comes down to what you like. No one should get defensive about the replies here since they are simply personnal preference. I love high fashion and spend alot of my money on clothes, some people are happy to shop at sears. Some people see it silly to spend $3k on a Ermenegildo Zegna suit. I look at it in an investment in my image. It's all subjective, so have fun shopping!

biggrin.png