Sign in to follow this  
maestro

A7750 - Good Movement or Waste Of Money

Hi!

Simple question really - how good is the standard A7750 movement? Beating at 28-something-thousand that is found in most (if not all, chronograph reps!)

Will it last or just going to break? I was basically wondering how good is a chronograph replica watch.

Thank you everyone!

IMO They are a decent movement. Most of the parts are interchangeable with the valjoux 7750 parts.

They can last many years if taken care of properly, particularly they should serviced a few weeks after you get them. A full service can be a bit pricey, but is worth it.

The 7750 is a great movement, both low beat and high beat. Some people will tell you they will brake easily or they are crap, but these are usually misinformed people, the A7750 is extremely reliable when cared for properly, the ONLY one you should avoid is the one with seconds at 6.

very solid movement - as long as you get it serviced right away - with few exceptions all of the 7750 I had needed service right away, since they were either dry, dripping of dirty oil or assembled poorly - particularly the ones I received this year so far.

cheers

WR

P.S. the bad thing is that you won't know if you got lucky and received one that has been properly assembled/oiled until it is fully taken apart.

Thank you everyone! I was asking as most of the reps which I really like - all are chronographs. And I actually think you could fool more people with a chronograph rep than a standard watch! If it could be a good daily watch; then I think I will treat myself to one!

I did ask at a local watch repair store, and they would service a rep but it would be very expensive... One watch repair store told me that "fake" watches are a waste of time, now please leave my shop!!!

If I had a A7750 rep and it kept good time straight away, is it worth servicing right away? How soon do they need servicing? Or is it a case of when it breaks; service it?

It's a fine movement. It also is the most complained about movement in the rep world. If you search through old posts looking for dead movement or movement problem threads, far more than half will be about the A7750 movement.

So, IMO, it's a crap-shoot. You may get a great one, and you may get a lemon.

Thanks, LM! I have to agree with you. In my short time on the forum, I've read both the good and the bad. I then read that the recent improvements in the latest models have fixed many of the issues. It's tough to say. It's probably still crap shoot.

I no longer think it's a crap shoot, I think I'd buy it from a dealer that checks the movement on a machine. Some do, some don't. But any of the dropshippers, I wouldn't buy an A7750 watch from.

I think I may go for one!

Thanks, Maestro. Do you know how to read the machine results though? I've seen the videos/pics of these but I have to admit that I have NO IDEA what I'm looking at.

Does anyone know of a posted tutorial on these testing machines? (Don't even know what they are called.)

I think service intervals are every 5 years. The machines are showing you the watch is keeping accurate time within +/- a given amount of seconds per day.

Out of ~10 watches in my rotation, two are 7750's. One has gone to Ziggy about 8 months after owning it, and the next will go in due time. When I purchase a 7750 powered rep, I do my research. Try on the gen, make sure is something I definitely love, and go in knowing it's going to need a $200 servicing sooner rather than later. I aim for about 6 months after ownership. Gotta get past the honeymoon phase before I'm ready to let it go for a month or two.

smile.png

Thanks, P4GTR... Yeah, that's what I'm trying to get my head around with my purchase. I want to go into it with the same kind of expectation.

Do you have the same expectation for servicing with the other movements, like the 2836? In other words, is it fair to say any of the Asian movements require servicing within the first 6 months?

worst comes to worst and its $90 for a new movement.

Saying that I have had many 7750's, low and high beat and all ok so far, fingers crossed.

No, the 7750 stands out for expectations. It's going to be your high maintenance girl, the ETA's will be the opposite.

Shop with your wallet in mind, being conscientious of servicing. My reps were purchased with the intention they serve me a lifetime just as the gen would, and I try to maintain a watchbox of 10 or less, so I can afford to take care of them. (If I could easily afford the gen down the line, I would probably buy it).

In my 3+ years, the only movement (7750 aside for a moment) that has given me problems are the cheap 21j 2813 low beat movements. Claims are they are cheap to replace but claims are also that the cheap DG2813 replacement we can source from parts houses like Ofrei don't have the same cannon pin as the 2813 found in reps. I don't want problems like this, if you don't either, opt for gen or clone ETA.

As far as longevity is concerned, the swiss and clone ETA's have proven to be extremely reliable, with not so much as a peep on the boards about any problems with them.

If a replacement A7750 can be had for $90, then what is the logic behind a $200 servicing? Why not replace the movement every five years?

It's a tricky one. Have it serviced or take a punt on it lasting?

I have mine serviced but it's not too expensive for me. If you are in the US 14060 or 16610? will service one. The details are here: http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/for...epair-203.html

It really should be serviced but then again you may get 5 years out of it (as many do) before it dies. Or 5 weeks (also happens). By the time it stops it is usually too late and something is damaged. Waiting until it stops is not a cost effective way of looking after a watch.

Once it has had a service it will be 4 years or so before it needs another.

Col.

Why spend hundreds of dollars on tune-ups and oil changes, when you can just drop in a $300 junk yard engine after 5 years? Well that's gonna be a rough 5 years of service. And you forgot to mention you'll need to pay a mechanic to do the swap for you, unless you can do it yourself. So in the end, the cost is probably less to just maintain your current engine. Plus, you'll have a reliable vehicle you can enjoy without any drama or hassles.

In a perfect world, it would seem great to just roll with your existing A7750 and replace it in 5 years when it goes dead. But those won't be 5 good years. The watch won't keep good time and won't be reliable. Many gen watches that have been serviced don't keep good time after 5 years - what makes you think a dirty, over- or under-oiled and misadjusted A7750 assembled on someone's kitchen table can do better?

The other problem is that the $90 movement you drop in there might be even worse than the one you're replacing and can implode within weeks. With an A7750 it's a crap shoot. You don't know you have a good one until it's taken apart. I routinely take them apart and find hair, chunks of metal, sludge, fibers, and grit inside. I always take pictures and make it a point to send them to the customer, so they receive visual confirmation that they are doing the right thing by having their watch serviced. Often these are watches where the owners aren't reporting issues, and the watches are otherwise running fine and keeping fairly decent time. I assure you they won't go for more than a year or two before self destructing.

Don't forget, you'll also need to pay the watchsmith to install your $90 movement. Before too long, you're pretty close to the $200 mark anyway.

As for folks going several years without any problems, in my experience often those are the folks who have many watches and don't wear any particular one for more than a day or two at a time. In the course of a year they may only wear a certain watch 10 or 20 times. Not a good case for an unserviced A7750 lasting 5 years if you ask me. I challenge someone to step forward with their unserviced A7750 rep that they have worn DAILY for 5 years.

Absolutely nothing. That's why I was asking questions. I appear to have hit a nerve with this one.

smile.png

Just an honest inquiry, don't get all defensive. :anopsis:

EDIT: I just looked at your thread about what's included in your 7750 service. I understand the passion; I'm that way with gunsmithing and I get wound up when people dismiss details they consider trivial. Sorry, the button-pushing was entirely unintentional.

Great discussion, Guys. Thank you for sharing all of this great information! For a noob, it really helps to hash out the questions in your mind.

I know its routine knowledge for the experienced folks, so your patience, time and help is appreciated!